Meme Monday — Anti Social Justice Aaron
Let’s be real: How many people that bring this up do any more about these women’s oppression than we do? I doubt very many of them do. And realistically, how many of us actually have the money and are in a position where it is safe for us to be going into such countries? I mean, some of us are:
• Physically disabled in a way that would make us easier to attack
• Teenagers, and thus unable to actually plan out this type of trip and I doubt most of our parents would even let us
• LGBTQ+ — in these countries you speak of it’s highly likely that to be LGBTQ+ is a crime, and if we fit a lot of stereotypes (like I do), it is possible we could be met with violence
• Poor and thus unable to pay for the trip to said country (just because we have internet does not mean we can afford to fly across the ocean, come on now)
• Unable to defend ourselves when met with violence
Moreover… the US has a higher rape rate than quite a few parts of the world, which would make rape a first world problem. (http://www.indexmundi.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/19/rape-statistics-by-country/) Still think first world problems aren’t worth complaining about?